ORGLIST: 1-butene

From: Mike Fralish (mfrali01$##$mail.isd77.k12.mn.us)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 10:40:01 EST

ORGLIST members,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand...
A primary alcohol treated with sulfuric acid yeilds a dehydration reaction
in which the alcohol is dehydrated into a alkene...

I reacted 1-butanol with excess H2SO4(conc). I got a yellow brown oily
liquid. Further study of the physical attributes of 1-butene shows that it
has a boiling point just below 0 degrees C, obviously my liquid was not
1-butene. So I slowly heated the yellow brown liqiud until it boiled in
which it released a noxious white vapor.

So, my questions are:
1. where is the 1-butene; yellow liquid or white vapor?
2. If it is the vapor(which i beleive it is) what is the first reaction
that yeiled the yellow liquid
3. Am I doing anyu of this right?

Thanks for your time,
Mike Fralish