Re: ORGLIST - orglist Digest - V01 #107

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 05:21:16 EST

It is possible that a modification of the Ritter reaction will work. Thus,
4,5-dicyanoimidaozle dissolved in dry methanol, treated with a stream of
dry hydrogen chloride should yield the dihydrochloride of the desired
derivative. Maybe cooling is needed. Subsequent neutralization with a dry
base can lead to the neutral product. If the latter base is aqueous
possibly the methyl carboxylic ester will be obtained.

All the best,

Jacob