Re: ORGLIST: volatile buffer systems

From: Juan L. Navia (jlnavia$##$ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 21:23:25 EDT

John Deutsch wrote:

> I am interested in doing LC separations of 4-6 carbon carbohydrates which
> I make by exposing the primary CHO's to various oxidants.
> I will be analyzing
> the products using an Ion trap MS with electrospray. I want to keep the
> salt concentration to a minimum in my running buffer and am looking for
> advice on columns and solvents. I get beautiful results using flow loops,
> in water/ACN but I want to see if some of my parent ions are due to more
> than 1 compound. Anyone with suggestions or experience?
>
> John Deutsch
> University of Colorado HSC

> List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (jas$##$mail.fct.unl.pt)

Phenomenex has a series of Rezex columns to separate carbohydrates using
only water as the eluant. Equivalent columns (perhaps the original
items?) are also available from Bio-Rad. These are styrene
divinylbenzene sulfonate with different metal ions (Na, Ca, Pb, Ag) or
in the acid form to effect separation by ligand exchange, size
exclussion or some combination. Let me know if it works for you. I
have had some good and bad experiences with these columns.

Juan