ORGLIST: Pesticides

From: Dr. Rainer Glaser (chemrg$##$showme.missouri.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 22:28:58 EDT

Hi: I just read the following sentence: "The chemicals environmentalists
propose banning are methyl parathion, dimethoate, chlorpyrifos, pirimiphos
methyl and azinphos methyl". I have a PhD in organic chemistry and I have
no idea what these compounds are. Am I alone? I figured that methyl
parathion is O,O-dimethyl-O-p-nitrophenyl phosphorothioate (found on the
web) but I am still not sure about the structure. I suspect this is an
oxonium salt with the PSO2 anion as gegenion. Can that be true? What is
the structure of phosphorothioate? Any help? Thanks, Rainer.

      "We know accurately only when we know little; with knowledge
                   doubt increases." J. W. von Goethe
       Visit us on the web at http://showme.missouri.edu/~chemrg
     MU Best of the Web Award, Winter Semester 1997, Faculty/Staff
Dr. Rainer Glaser MM MM OOOOOOO
Associate Professor Tel: (573) 882-0331 MMM MMM OO OO
Department of Chemistry Fax: (573) 882-2754 MMMM MMMM OO OO
University of Missouri Home: (573) 445-3094 MM MMMM MM OO OO
Columbia, MO 65211 MM MM MM OOOOOOO