RE: ORGLIST: Propylene Oxide formation

From: GERALD MORINE, PHONE:218-755-2792 FAX: 4107 (GHMO$##$VAX1.BEMIDJI.MSUS.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 16:41:48 EDT

The Merck Index (12 edition) has this to say about propylene oxide
(p1349):

>bp 34.23 C flash point -35 C

>Caution: Potential symptoms of over-exposure are
>irritation of the eyes, upper respiratory system and
>lungs; skin irritation, blistering and burns.
>This substance may reasonably be anticipated to be
>a carcinogen.

Having said that, if you still want to know how to safely
manufacture it, there is a review of manufacturing
processes in Chemical & Engineering News, vol 70,
pp. 9-12, (issue of March 2, 1992). This magazine is found
in most all University libraries. You should be prepared to
spend a few million $ setting up a pilot plant, first, I'd advise,
and then move to a commercial-sized operation.

Will people pay to watch a car loaded with a volatile carcinogen
racing arounda track? Maybe, since they put gasoline with 1-2%
benzene into their own cars!

Cheers, Jerry, gmchem$##$vax1.bemidji.msus.edu