ORGLIST: little compound

From: liux (liux$##$med.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 03:36:40 EDT

Dear all,

I got stuck in obtaining a little simple compound---
4-iodophenethylamine. Following some literature I tried a few ways,
e.g.
starting from 4-iodotoluene led to 4-iodophenylacetonitrile via
4-iodobenzyl
bromide, but reduction of the nitrile (with either LAH or NaBH4) always
ended up with a mixture of and fairly low yield. Is there any chemical
that can
reduce nitrile into amine without getting the iodine off aromatic ring?

Can any of you think about this and give me some advice on alternative
methodology or