ORGLIST:Help on methylation

From: srinivas reddy (gounisrinivas$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 06:32:08 EDT

Dear All,

I am a research student, trying to synthesize
indoloquinoline analogues, in one of my reactions I
have to methylate my substrate.

I tried to methylate by using methyl iodide, and
tetramethylene as the solvent at 60 degree centigrade
overnight in an inert atmosphere,I also tried with
methyl triflate and toluene as the solvent,but the
reaction didnot work. can anybody help me on why the
reaction didnot work and also the other method for
methylation?,as this is very important for my project.

I am herewith attaching the structures of my substrate
and compound.

thank you

regards

Srinivas