Re: ORGLIST:(no subject)

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 05:09:45 EST

Hello Oleg,

The Aldrich catalog for chemicals (and surely other lab suppliers too)
carries quite a nice selection for model building, it's only a matter
of how strict are your specs and how much are you ready to spend. If
you have spacial coordinates of the atoms in the molecule, I found the
Crystalmaker application (http://www.crystalmaker.com) quite useful for
determination of interatomic distances and angles and getting very
nice graphic representations of organic molecules, including
perspective and 3-D views (it works on Macintosh computers, systems 9
and X). Attached is a graphic rendering of the primary ozonide of
ethylene, where you can see the external semi-translucent surface of
the molecule, with arbitrary atomic radii of C 1A, O 1.2A and H 0.6A.
Inside you can see a ball-and-stick model based on a published set of
atomic coordinates. Hopefully you'll be able to open the WORD.DOC file.

All the best,

Jacob

On Thursday, Nov 13, 2003, at 07:03 Asia/Jerusalem, Oleg Nadein wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Could you recommend a molecular model set for organic chemistry which
> can be
> used for basic stereo considerations?
>

> -------------------------------
> Oleg N. Nadein
> New Mexico Tech
> Chemistry Department
> 801 Leroy Place
> Socorro, NM 87801

> List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)

Prof. Jacob Zabicky
Institutes for Applied Research
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P. O. Box 653, Beer-Sheva, 84105, Israel

Phone: +972-8-6461271; Fax: +972-8-6472969
zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il
http://www.bgu.ac.il/IAR/Zabicky.htm