Re: ORGLIST: Peracetic acid

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 11:17:26 EST

Hello Yeajur,

Various possibilities are open. In the following examples maybe you'll =

need some modifications to adapt a method to your specific case.

1. If you have access to HPLC the detection of peroxide analytes can be =

carried out using a reverse phase column and detection by measuring the =

fluorescence of 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid which is converted to a
dimer by the peroxide in the presence of a catalyst such as peroxidase =

or a mimic of the enzyme.
G. L. Kok, S. E, McLaren and T. A, Staffelbach, J. Atmos. Oceanic
Technol., 12, 282 (1995).
D. W. O’Sullivan, M. Lee. B. C. Noone and B. G. Heikes, J. Phys. =
Chem.,
100, 3241 (1996).

The detection method may be chemiluminescence of an organic oxalate
which reacts with the peroxide in the presence of a catalyst.
S. Baj, A. Chrobok, M. Cieslik and T. Krawczyk, Anal. Bioanal. Chem.,
375, 327 (2003).

2. A potentiometric method is based on the redox buffer obtained with
free iodine in the presence of iodide ions. At pH 5.6 peracetic acid
reacts with iodide liberating iodine yielding I3- ions, while the
reaction of H2O2 at this pH is very slow and requires catalysis of
peroxidase or a mimic.
M. I. Awad and T. Ohsaka, J. Electroanal. Chem., 544, 35 (2003).

3. It is possible to combine the reaction of peroxides with varios
types of subtrates, such as aryl thioethers and triarylphosphines, to
determine the mixtures of your interest.
S. Effkemann, S. Brødsgaard, P. Mortensen, S.-A. Linde and U. Karst, =
J.
Chromatogr. A, 855, 551 (1999).
U. Pinkernell, S. Effkemann and U. Karst, Anal. Chem., 69, 3623 (1997).
S. Effkemann, U. Pinkernell and U. Karst, Anal. Chim. Acta, 363, 97
(1998).

4. Peracetic acid reacts with ABTS
(2,2’-azinobis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline)-6-sulfonate) in acidic solution =

to give a green free radical that may be determined
spectrophotometrically. H2O2 needs peroxidase catalyst to react with
ABTS.
U. Pinkernell, H.-J. Lüke and U. Karst, Analyst, 122, 567 (1997).

5. Total peroxides (including H2O2) can be determined at a lower pH,
for example, by titration with standard permanganate, or by liberating =

iodine followed by thiosulfate titration (peroxide value).
F. J. Welcher (ed.), Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis, 6th edn.,
Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1983, vol. 2, part B, p. 1328.
AOCS, Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil
Chemists’ Society, 5th edn., American Oil Chemists’ Society, AOCS
Press, Champaign, 1998.

Good luck

Jacob

Prof. Jacob Zabicky