RE: ORGLIST: about peachmann reaction

From: Ilya Avrutov (iavrutov$##$dalton.com)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 17:25:52 EST

Dear Bert,

First of all, thank you for reference to your book, I propose to our
company to purchase it. I'd like also to give you reference to another
book, it is written on Russian and its name (in my translation to
English) is "Named reaction in organic chemistry", authors are K.
Vatsuro and G. Mischenko, Moscow, 1976. It contains 755 reactions and
125 named modifications (also much more than usual 300 reactions). In
this book 3 reactions are called Pechmann reactions with remark, that
one of them is also named as Pechmann-Duisberg. Condensation of phenols
with malic acid (and some other acids: maleic, fumaric,
acetondicarboxylic acid) is mentioned only as variant of this latter
reaction.

Best,

Ilya