ORGLIST: Isocyanate purification

From: mailbox (mailbox$##$invalid)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 00:25:20 EST

Hello Friends !

I had got good advices from some friends thro' this site regarding to my =
reaction of producing Isocyanate from an Amine HCl. But I'm finally =
getting difficulties in purifying this Isocyanate. As per the final GC, =
Isocyanate comes as 94-95% maximum alongwith 4-5% peak of some impurity =
before the main peak (comes as lower boiler). This impurity comes as =
cloudy solid & extends more slowly making the isocyanate more & more =
turbid on standing.

Can anyone pls suggest me how I can remove this impurity & purify my =
isocyanate ?? However, I had got one reference according to which, "Do =
the distillation with column (fractional) distillation with shorter =
time". (Actually, how it can be performed practically ? Because if the =
column is there, then travelling time for vapor would be obviously =
longer !! )

By the way, I had performed this reaction in MDC & aq. bicarbonate media =
in biphasic mode with triphosgene.

I will be anxiously awaiting your kind advices.

Pls help me.

Thanking you in advance,
KAMAL
(mailbox$##$invalid)