ORGLIST: Re: TLC in DMSO

From: Paul D. Jones (pdjones$##$ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 13:26:55 EDT

This is a very common problem, especially with solvents such as DMSO, DMF
and HMPA. The trick I use it as follows:

Take a small aliquot of your reaction, say 50 microliters and dissolve it
in a solvent such as ethyl acetate or dichloromethane. then add 250-500
microliters of water. Shake the mixture than use the organic layer and spot
your TLC. This mini extraction usually removes most of the DMSO from you
sample, so the TLC is usually cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Paul D. Jones, Ph.D.
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow