ORGLIST: Glycerol oxidation

From: Eric Brady (eric$##$ishelping.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 06:51:01 EDT

Hello all,

With this question I will ask you to use your brains to help me with the
prediction of the reaction products of the reaction between glycerol and
sodium hypochlorite. Because glycerol is a compound with 3 adjacent
hydroxyl groups, you can imagine that several reactions can occur.
Reactions like oxidation and decarboxylation (formation of carbon dioxide
is observed already) are very likely.
I hope someone will have suggestions for this seemingly simple reaction.

With kindest regards,

Eric