RE: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER

From: Richard Prankerd (Richard.Prankerd$##$vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 17:57:09 EDT

All:

In using the information in the website below, note two things:

1. The danger of mixing anhydrous formic acid with concentrated
sulphuric acid, as this will form carbon monoxide - I used this reaction
when CO was needed for other reactions;

2. The mechanism described on the website is in error by claiming that
the formation of carbon monoxide from formic acid and sulphuric acid is
an oxidation reaction - IT IS NOT. Simple examination of the reaction
stoichiometry shows that this is a dehydration reaction.

Therefore, attempts to remove water from formic acid/water mixtures must
be performed cautiously in a well ventilated space to reduce the risk of
carbon monoxide formation. Always perform on a small scale first.

Richard

Richard J. Prankerd, PhD
Senior Lecturer
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Pde., Parkville VIC 3052

Phone: INT+613-9903-9003
Phax: INT+613-9903-9583

Drugs need to be designed with delivery components in mind - Takeru
Higuchi