Re: ORGLIST: increased temp for dinitration

From: Oleg Nadein (nadein$##$nmt.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 11:59:59 EDT

Is it for aromatic compounds?

When a nitro group is introduced in the benzene ring, it is deactivated
drastically, so any other electrophilic substitution reaction will
proceed much slower. That is why heating is needed to my opinion.

NO2 seems to be one of the strongest electronegative groups (if not the
most). Nucleophilic substitution of halogens in benzene ring becomes
possible in it's presence (except aryne-involved reactions of course).

--
Oleg N. Nadein