ORGLIST: Re: Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 15

From: Nandan Vakatkar (nandan2000$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 22:27:41 EDT

Rebecca,

The answer to your query is very easy.Nitration reaction is an electrophilic reaction i.e. for nitration to take place, there has to be presence of an electron rich site in the molecule. After mono nitration of benzene, the electron density decreases considerably in the benzene ring. Hence, to promote dinitration, you have to increase the temperature.

Do let me know if your require anymore explanation.

Regards.

Nandan V. Vakatkar.

Research Fellow

Dyestuff Division